- I forgot to make a hair appointment this month. I’ve been coloring my grays for years now, so I have no idea how it slipped through the cracks. My husband says I shouldn’t worry about it. “Grow out the gray,” he says.
- I have a beautiful friend who hasn’t ever colored her hair. It’s long and healthy, and it suits her so well.
- I don’t know how much gray hair I really have, and I’m not ready to find out. Not only do I like my plain brown hair, I like the time it takes to sit in the chair at the salon once a month. It’s guaranteed downtime, and I’m not giving it up.
- I pay a lot for that downtime. It’s worth every penny.
- I wish I could get back into reading. I need to get back into reading. Before I had kids, my nose was always in a book. It’s not that I don’t have the time. I don’t make the time.
- I recently bought new books for The Girl. She’s never been a big reader. When she was little, we read to her every night, and she loved that. We just picked up Sweet Valley High books 1, 2 and 3. I kinda want to reread them.
- If you grew up in the ’80s, and you’re a girl, you probably read at least one of them. I remember waiting for the Special Edition ones or, even better, the Super Special Editions, because they were so much longer than the regular books.
- It turns out Kanye West has admitted to an opiate addiction. Why is that news? Because there’s an epidemic. It’s scary. I’ll be the first to admit to taking Percocet after the birth of each of my two children. I thought I needed it. I took it for several days after The Boy was born. I never touched it again once I went home after The Girl’s C-section.
- I’m so thankful for the nurse who calmly explained that she didn’t want me to leave the hospital dependent on pain meds. One morning, she came to me and said we would skip a dose of post-op meds. I was terrified. After all, I needed them, right? I’d just had surgery. She coached me through getting out of bed, and she was right. I didn’t need them. Ibuprofen did the trick.
- We have a friend who is a doc in south Georgia. In addition to his hospital duties, he runs a minute clinic. He has a big, bold sign at the check in counter informing potential patients that it’s a narcotic-free clinic. It’s a small step, but it’s a start.
- I just heard of a local doc, convicted of and sentenced for illegal opiate prescription dispensing. People were paying upwards of $1,000 for a bottle of pills. That’s insane. He’s off to federal prison, and his patients will likely find a new source.
- I don’t feel sorry for him. He knew what he was doing. He’s no better than a crack dealer.
- There’s a bird’s nest in our chimney. I can hear the babies chirping, and so can our dog. He’s impatiently waiting at the fireplace. How long before baby birds fly?
- Apparently it’s a cardinal nest. There’s been a blue jay trying to get into it, and apparently blue jays are jerks. This particular blue jay sits on the windowsill yelling at the cardinal all day. How long before baby birds fly?
- Oh my goodness. This weather is wonderful. Enjoy it. Sit on your porch with friends and enjoy a cold beer. Or tea. Whatever. Cheers!
15 in 5
Because I love a list. Especially a random list.