- If you’re reading this and don’t live in Augusta, welcome to golf week. That’s why you’re here, right?
- If the weather pans out according to the 10-day forecast, I’m sorry. You missed the perfect weather last week.
- If the weather people are wrong (and with a 50/50 chance, anything’s possible), you’ll probably notice a fine yellow dusting on your cars and chairs, in your beers and eyes, and hanging in the sky over the big golf course. The sunshine’ll make up for it, though.
- If you notice things looking a little less shady (referring to the sun, not sketchy behavior) around here, it’s not mind trick. We lost thousands of trees during the ice storm/earthquake week. Right here around the golf course, most of the debris is gone, but go out of town just a bit, and you’re sure to see tall piles of limbs.
- We work all year for this week. (Though it isn’t all Augusta has to offer.)
- Most everyone who lives here loves, err, well, appreciates this week. (Otherwise, they leave.)
- Please wait patiently if you’re stuck in a line or waiting for a table. We have a few extra people in town. Feeling antsy? Order another drink. This too shall pass.
- Speaking of ordering another drink, did you know that the cutoff for beer sales on the golf course used to be 4 p.m.? There was a mad rush to the concession stands at 3:59. Thank goodness we don’t have to do that anymore. Now it happens at 4:59.
- If you plan on drinking more than one beer out there, you must decide if you’re a stacker or not. A stacker keeps all of his/her souvenir cups, carrying around a tower of green cups. Rarely is a tall tower handled with grace. Don’t be afraid to buy something in the pro shop, just so you’ll have a bag in which to carry said tower.
- Not interested in golf? Just came to shop? Go early in the week. Once the droves of practice round fans have come through, the pro shops are pretty picked over.
- If you just came to shop, pay attention while you’re out there. You’ve got your hands on a well sought after ticket, and it might be a good idea to watch a little golf. You might surprise yourself and like it. Years ago, when I went for the first time, I didn’t know a shank from a chip shot.
- Walking up to Amen Corner that year, I got it. It’s beautiful out there, and the sport isn’t nearly as boring as you’d think. As an aside, I recently learned the same thing about NASCAR. Well, except the beautiful part. It’s fun to watch, though.
- That was the year Tiger won for the first time. He’s not coming this year, due to a recent back surgery. It was announced on April Fool’s Day. I guess there’s still a chance he was kidding, even though all sources say he isn’t. Like him or not, his absence will be notable.
- Wear golf shoes if you have them, and, if not, wear running shoes. Trust me on this. You don’t want to slip and fall and be That Girl. Your friends aren’t gonna go home with you just because you slipped in the mud. Dress appropriately, too. Your “White Trash” tank top won’t cut it.
- When in doubt, eat more egg salad. Or pimiento cheese. Or ham on rye. Whatever butters your biscuit. Don’t forget the cold beer. It’s toonamint week, y’all! Welcome to Augusta!
Okay folks, I understand that in any given political race there are going to be spouses, parents, children, grandchildren, siblings, cousins, aunts, uncles, neighbors, and assorted others who can be counted on to vote for even the most unqualified, bat-crap crazy fool that manages to qualify to
Music composer Mark Swanson enjoyed moderate success when he lived in Los Angeles, California, even scoring two films for Showtime Entertainment. It wasn’t until he and his family moved to back to Augusta, however, that his creative career really began to take off. “I never would have thought
It’s summer. I’m sitting at the pool, watching the kids swim. They don’t need me here. They hardly know I’m here. I’m not hovering, I swear. I’m tucked far away in the shade. They’re here with friends, all of whom are old enough to be here without me. I’ll let them… soon. The Boy got […]
My kids are enjoying their first week out of school for the summer and, surprisingly, I haven’t wanted to strangle them yet. Emphasis on yet, because I know it’s coming. Y’see, No. 3 is at the beach with her bestie. Which means No.s 2 and 4 have the run of the house. I’ve discovered that […]
I believe my primary job in the editorial realm is to highlight and spotlight the almost daily reminders that when it comes to political critique, social commentary and public behavior, liberals are aggressively particular, sensitive and intolerant. But only about conservatives. I submit…
“How was ‘Mary Poppins’?” That’s the No. 1 question I’m asked, at least once daily, by friends who didn’t see the show. A lot of you get it, but some don’t. “Are you so glad it’s over? Happy to have your life back?” Great. No. That was our life. That’s the short version. As y’all […]
I have always wanted to give a commencement speech, but I think they only invite people who have accomplished great things to do those. Being as I have pretty much missed that boat, I figured I could use my space here to offer my words of ineptness to this year’s graduates. While reading this,
It is a perfectly good Monday morning. The kids are off to school without drama (mostly), and I arrive at the office a few minutes early. The entire team is all smiles. Why wouldn’t they be? Someone brought donuts. Yes, indeed. The week is starting off pretty good. Until… I just sat down to
Jason Isbell is on quite a winning streak. Sober for the past four years, he is recently married and has been touted as the brightest star to emerge in years. Isbell joined the established band the Drive-By Truckers in his early 20s and indulged in the raucous lifestyle being a Trucker
Once again, conservatives with a legitimate point to make are being drowned out by Bible thumpers with a religious agenda. Just like we saw with the Religious Freedom Act, where zealots twisted a common sense, constitutionally sound premise out of all rational proportion, history is repeating
This past weekend, Saul “Canelo” Alvarez knocked out Amir Khan in the fifth round of their pseudo-middleweight championship fight. I say “pseudo” for two reasons: 1) Alvarez has rarely defended his middleweight title at the actual limit of 160 pounds, opting instead to use his considerable
We hear it all the time: Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me. I call bull honkey. Total crap. It’s like the advice they (the royal they, with all the answers) give brides when it rains on their wedding day. “They say it’s good luck if it rains on […]
Every season it’s the same old thing. My team gets me just close enough to a championship that I get my hopes up and then they rip my heart completely out of my chest, throw it on the ground, stomp on it, spit on it, pour some salt on it, scoop it up, put it […]
Tesla Scores Again — Have you read any of the reviews for the new Tesla Model X? It’s the latest entry in Tesla’s line of 100 percent electric vehicles. The Model X is officially listed as an SUV with seating for up to seven adults. However, this car contains a few non-SUV like features. For
Rosanne Grubbs knows firsthand what addiction to alcohol and drugs can do, not only to the victims of the disease but to those who surround them. “It destroys the person that has the addiction, but it certainly wreaks havoc on not just the families that, of course, get the bulk of it, but
Do you ever feel like your email must be broken? I feel like there’s a holding cell out there somewhere, where urgent emails are kept prisoner until past the applicable date of need. That’s the only explanation. It’s not that people just aren’t replying. Also, if you expect me to believe you
I have this friend who is one of those obnoxious morning people. Dude just wakes up in a better mood than most people have all day. Whenever he would stay with us, he would purposely get in my face with his obnoxious good-mood-having self in the mornings because he knows that I am his polar
A few weeks ago, I had the pleasure to see Cirque de Soleil in Atlanta. The show is spectacular! If you don’t have plans to see it, you are missing an opportunity. The show runs through May 8. If you can get tickets for this weekend, go see it! You’ll love it! But this column […]
By now I’m sure you’ve heard of the Public Securities and Private Facility Act that North Carolina recently signed into law. Colloquially referred to as the “bathroom law,” it essentially mandates that a person must use the public restroom corresponding to the designated gender on their birth
Y’all are gonna think I’m crazy. You probably already do, but this might confirm it. A couple of weeks ago, I was taking a quick afternoon nap (timer set, 10 minutes only, nearly a daily requirement) and woke up feeling worried. The Girl was at her soccer game, The Boy home with me. I thought,