Metro Spirit



Why Race-Based Crime Statistics are Useless

Imagine if a study was conducted to determine the kinds of people that commit violent crimes in a given area. Like many statistics, the results were separated by race. The study found that 80 percent of the violent crimes were committed by race “X” while race “Y” perpetrated the remaining 20 percent. Naturally, one might read more

Theft of guns from Cabela’s

Theft of guns from Cabela’s

The Richmond County Sheriff’s Office is searching for unknown suspects who broke out the front glass window of Cabela’s and stole some firearms from the store just before 3 a.m. this morning. Deputies are asking for help from anyone who might have observed a vehicle parked along Interstate 20 early this morning before 3 a.m. read more

Meth Lab Discovered in Augusta

Meth Lab Discovered in Augusta

Lt. Allan Rollins of the Richmond County Sheriff’s Office is reporting that deputies discovered a meth lab at 2408 Patrick Ave. in Augusta. Three individuals — Robert Winford Dukes, Scott Lee Weirich and Brian Shane Cherry — are facing charges in the incident. The following is the Rollins’ press release regarding this morning’s discovery: At approximately 1:44 am read more

Augusta’s Pregnant and Drowning Teenage Girls

According to Teen Life Clinic, a provider of confidential health services for teenage girls, 624 teenage girls will become pregnant this year in Augusta, Georgia. That is nearly two pregnancies per day. Many would agree that lack of education and parental guidance are among the strongest drivers of teenage pregnancy. Some insist that teenage pregnancy read more

Spring Festival Guide

Spring Festival Guide

At the first signs of spring, everyone’s instinct is to head outdoors, relax and enjoy the beautiful weather. Add live music, tasty food, a cold beer and several thousand friends to the mix and you have a festival that can’t be missed. Welcome to the Metro Spirit’s Spring Festival Guide that will definitely jump-start your read more

Star still rising

Star still rising

Kevin Gillespie keeps collecting accolades. The Atlanta chef became a household name in 2009 when he became a finalist on Top Chef’s season 6. He was beloved that season as much for his humble attitude (more apparent considering it was such a sharp contrast with the eventual winner, the douchy egomaniac Michael Voltaggio) and ginger read more

Legislators not rubber stamping Davis’ plan

Legislators not rubber stamping Davis’ plan

When Augusta Mayor Hardie Davis called for the state legislature to change the city’s 1995 consolidation bill last week to allow for the mayor to have more authority such as veto power, the ability to hire and fire all city department heads and submit the city’s budget, he perhaps should have had more discussions with read more

The Holy Trinity of Job Creation

Many policymakers embrace the idea that job creation is the work of a select class of individuals. These individuals are affectionately referred to as “job creators.” They are commonly known as business owners. Business owners are people that take on a greater than usual financial risk in order to start a business. The notion that read more

Mayor Davis wants more power

Mayor Davis wants more power

Mayor Hardie Davis surprised most of Augusta today by announcing a “call to action” for citizens to change Augusta’s form of government. We’ll let the mayor’s announcement speak for itself, but the tremors are already being felt across Richmond County. The following is a complete transcript of his speech made earlier today: “Thank you for read more

Whineline Redux

Whineline Redux

For those long-time readers of the Metro Spirit, checking out Augusta’s weekly gripes about the community and public jabs at local leaders in the Whine Line has become a weekly tradition. So, when the newspaper experienced a minor glitch in its email system last week and couldn’t run the Whine Line, we were curious to read more