The 10-story Marion Building opened on December 1, 1914.
“Every office has a lavority, and plenty of hot and cold water”, according to designer G. Lloyd Preacher.
It was Augusta’s first skyscraper. Then known as the Chronicle Building, the “fireproof” office building was consumed by the inferno that was the Great Fire of 1916.
It was eventually renovated in the early twenties and rechristened the Marion Building.
Reopened in 1922, the structure was figuratively and literally overshadowed by the newly constructed 17 story Lamar Building next door.
The Lamar opened in 1918 after being ravaged by the same fire while under construction.
The Marion is often overlooked by citizens of Augusta, with most not being sure where it is.
This may be due to the fact it has been empty since the early 1970’s, and with design details almost identical to the Lamar Building, it seems to many to have faded into the background.
Ten years ago Clay Boardman, along with Barry Storey, purchased and stabilized the building, adding a new roof and removing interior walls and asbestos.
“We filled the elevator shafts with it and just shoveled it out” recalls Boardman.
The building is currently for sale.